Wednesday, January 9, 2013

1981-82 OPC Bob Bonanza

I want to send a big warm hug to reader Bob P. who in response to my plea for help with the 'missing' '81/82 OPC set, came through BIG time.

He sent me an email out of the blue in early December asking for my address. This from a person I'd never spoken to before, and, to my knowledge, had never even left a comment on my blog before.

I love this hobby and the outstanding people in it.

Let's get to the cards Bob sent over.

A Goals Against Average leader card featuring Vezina winner Richard Sevigny.
I love leader cards, but this one leaves a lot to be desired. Pretty craptastic design. I may have to try and come up with a better design for this one. I'll add it to my list of things to do. Look for it here in 2017.
Richard Sevigny was the man responsible for replacing Ken Dryden. No pressure.
 
 
One of my all time faves, Pierre Larouche.
Pierre was coming off of a disappointing 25 goal season, having potted 50 the year before.
 
Big Bird Larry Robinson.
Larry was 8th on the team that year in scoring with 50 points, 2nd in +/- with +46
 
Ahh.... Guy. How we miss thee. Watching Subban go end to end is great, but it's just not the same.
 
If you're saying to yourself that this is a lot of Montreal cards... well, I'm a Montreal fan. If you want to see Leafs, go elsewhere.
 
Oh all right. But no Leafs.
 
How about Gilbert Perrault?
Gil is coming off his worst season ever with only 59 points in 56 games. Damn those injuries.
 
Now Dave Taylor here is coming off of his best season ever.
47 goals 65 assists and the Republican side of the Triple Crown line. (I have no idea of Mr Taylor's political beliefs. He played right wing. Don't email me. I mean it.)
 
And for the sake of brevity (too late) I'll just package up the rest in one scan.
 
By the way... Mark Napier there? 35 goals, 2nd on the Canadiens in scoring. Mike Rogers, 88 goals in two seasons. Two very under rated players.
 
There you have it.... if any of you are as awesome as Bob and can help me out, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks again Bob!

6 comments:

  1. Goalies skating during warmup are lame....and there's a bunch of them in the late 70's/early 80's finds.

    Super Action cards rule!!! Barry Beck always looked like his hair was sculpted - from stone. It was PERFECT!

    Sweet pickups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 81-82 set is one of my favorites design-wise; there is just something about it that grabs me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed! I love this set, my favourite of any from the 80's!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was probably my favourite set to put together as a kid. The only other one that was close from that era was '84-85.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is one set that I've never attempted to collect, but is on the list of sets to go after in 2013.

    By the way, Ian Turnbull in a Leafs' uni snuck in there...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No sir. That's Ian Turnbull of the LA Kings.

      No leafs here. Nope.

      Delete